Lordship of Paisley, The
being the Accompt of Charge and Discharge for the Years 1757, 1758, 1759, and 1760.
|Click to enlarge >>
| By Metcalfe, William M.|
| ISBN 0902664883|
| SERIES A Paisley Collection|
| Paperback c 164 pages|
| Published 21 November 2003|
| UK Price £15.00 Order from amazon.co.uk|
| US Price $25.00 Order from amazon.com|
Originally published in 1912. Abercorns, Cochranes, Dundonalds and Hamiltons feature large in this engrossing study of the Lordship of Paisley. It was created in 1587 for Lord Claud Hamilton, and included the temporalities of the Abbey. In practice, this extended to lands scattered over the counties of Renfrew, Ayr, Dumbarton, Argyll, Lanark, Edinburgh, Peebles and Roxburgh. The Introductory essay follows the history of the Lordship from 1587 until 1873, when the Town Council demolished the dormitory of the Abbey, along with other ‘improvements.’ Detailed estate accounts for 1757 to 1760 show income from, and expenditure on, a wide range of properties including Thread Mills and a Bowling green, as well as more mundane transactions - old slates, a bed, and some old cherry trees. The text of the 1587 Charter for the Lordship is included.
| View the book Index|